3 Sows Together?

SabreRose

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi. Sorry for all the questions lately.
I've just got two gorgeous sows. 4 month old Sisters from the same litter. There was one female left and now I'm home I'm thinking I should have taken her too.
Is three sows generally a good idea? And if so would them spending tonight apart upset them if I brought her home tomorrow?

The hutch/run is well big enough for three I'm just wondering if maybe 3 might cause problems?
I know any set up can fall out but should I get the third?
Thanks for the help.

yes, sows can live together in group if the cage has enough room. Consider that sometimes they share hideys only when they are babies, then when they are teenagers, especially when they are in season days they might want to be alone; they need multiple houses for sleeping but nothing special, also a cardbox is well appreciated.
How large is your hutch?
another question: have you adopted them from a rescue? if you have bought them in a shop, keep an eye on them because they might be pregnant...

yes, sows can live together in group if the cage has enough room. Consider that sometimes they share hideys only when they are babies, then when they are teenagers, especially when they are in season days they might want to be alone; they need multiple houses for sleeping but nothing special, also a cardbox is well appreciated.
How large is your hutch?
another question: have you adopted them from a rescue? if you have bought them in a shop, keep an eye on them because they might be pregnant...
The hutch is 132 x 83cm and it's a two storey. I know multy levels don't count but it's there if thy want it anyway.
There's already 3 houses in there so that will be ok.
Would it be ok to just add the third in tomorrow? Or should I introduce them again?
They weren't from a pet shop but an accidental litter from a guinea pig who was a pet shop pig.

I have 3 sows together. They are mum and her 2 daughters. I did rehome one of the daughters to a family member but that didn't work and a week later she came back. I re-introduced them again on neutral territory as if I was newly bonding them, just to be safe but I think they must have remembered each other as it all went very well and they reacted very lovingly to each other.

My 3 will be moving into their big cage this weekend. it's a 6x2 C&C but I do have a plan to add a few more grid on :)

They will need to be introduced on neutral ground. Just putting the third in the cage is asking for trouble !

They will need to be introduced on neutral ground. Just putting the third in the cage is asking for trouble !
Oh really? Even though the two have only been in one night? Ok thanks.
How long in neutral territory do you think would be ok? I'm just wondering as the two I have are so scared now so I'm thinking putting them in another new area might be a lot for them.

I have 3 sows together. They are mum and her 2 daughters. I did rehome one of the daughters to a family member but that didn't work and a week later she came back. I re-introduced them again on neutral territory as if I was newly bonding them, just to be safe but I think they must have remembered each other as it all went very well and they reacted very lovingly to each other.

My 3 will be moving into their big cage this weekend. it's a 6x2 C&C but I do have a plan to add a few more grid on :)
Oh cool. I was thinking they'd know each other as it's only been one night, but maybe somewhere neutral would be safer, thanks.

Oh really? Even though the two have only been in one night? Ok thanks.
How long in neutral territory do you think would be ok? I'm just wondering as the two I have are so scared now so I'm thinking putting them in another new area might be a lot for them.
Yes, if you ar going to bond then do it by the book to avoid fights. Have a read of this Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Their cage is large enough, I guess; then you can arrange your house for a floor time (I put them on the floor in the kitchen, I use some garden fences (foldable) for making a safe room for the piggies).
I am not expert, therefore I can only say what I have seen in other owners (and in the rescue where my piggies come from). Your sows are three sisters and they have already been together. Prudence is never too much, but I am sure they will enjoy being together again! I hope you can go and take the third sow just tomorrow!
I am very happy for you!:love:
wait for the pictures!:drool:

Let us know how it goes, be great to see some photos of them :)

Back