3 Piggies Tomorrow Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeak Dreams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I'm getting my 3 girls tomorrow and I could do with some tips for the next couple of weeks so they are settled down I've never had gps or anything like that

Outdoor piggies in a very expensive hutch £150 but I have 2 large water bottles 1 bowl hay wood chips excel nuggets tube cage cleaner and a cat carrier so I think that's the basics I'm really excited
Hi there, wow exciting news.
Well you've probably bought all the items you need, but see the link below.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/getting-a-guinea-pig-items-youll-need-to-buy.112288/

You'll need to give them time to settle in, leave them alone when you first bring them home, let them get used to the new noises, smells etc. Ensure they have somewhere they can hide and feel secure in without interference. Are they indoor piggies or outdoors?

Excellent, you may want another bowl as you have 3 girls, to stop any squabbles especially if you have one that likes to hog the bowl or sit in it! They can be very cheeky. Don't forget to store newspaper, you may want it as lining. I lined my hutch with lino...saves on the cleaning and staining etc on the wood.

You'll also need to think about a medical kit, ice pods to keep the hutch cool when the hot weather is with us....like today! How exciting....

Hi :) Make sure they have some hideys in their hutch so they feel safe, a cardboard box does the job! Sit and talk to them at their level and hand feed them to gain their trust. Don't be disheartened if they are scared to start with, as this is normal piggie behaviour. There is lots of info on here about food etc, so have a search through the threads :)

Hi :) Make sure they have some hideys in their hutch so they feel safe, a cardboard box does the job! Sit and talk to them at their level and hand feed them to gain their trust. Don't be disheartened if they are scared to start with, as this is normal piggie behaviour. There is lots of info on here about food etc, so have a search through the threads :)
Ok thank you

Excellent, you may want another bowl as you have 3 girls, to stop any squabbles especially if you have one that likes to hog the bowl or sit in it! They can be very cheeky. Don't forget to store newspaper, you may want it as lining. I lined my hutch with lino...saves on the cleaning and staining etc on the wood.

You'll also need to think about a medical kit, ice pods to keep the hutch cool when the hot weather is with us....like today! How exciting....
You mean more like a radiator it's been raining and well normal British weather:(

Last edited:
Probably both, you can get snuggle safes which are microwaveable discs with cover, mine love them and hog them in the winter.
The ice pods are the opposite, chuck them in the freezer and when frozen, plonk them in the hutch. Or alternatively a bottle of frozen water with a cover over it so they don't stick with the ice crystals. Ceramic tiles work well too. Topps Tiles sell them individually rather than packs these days so that helps.

How exciting :)

It has taken Tilly around 6 weeks to get comfortable enough to sit and eat while I'm with her. We have had Hettie for 2.5 weeks and she still runs off when we go in the garage but she now comes back out after a few seconds and carries on eating.

They will soon settle in! :)

Hi @Squeak Dreams and welcome, The best tip I've found and it's been fantastic.....is lining your hutch with stick on Lino, you can get this in squares from most pound shops, their house will look and last so much longer by doing this... Here's mine I think I used 6 packs for my 5ft hutch :) image.webp

Hi @Squeak Dreams and welcome, The best tip I've found and it's been fantastic.....is lining your hutch with stick on Lino, you can get this in squares from most pound shops, their house will look and last so much longer by doing this... Here's mine I think I used 6 packs for my 5ft hutch :) View attachment 11374
Hi @Squeak Dreams and welcome, The best tip I've found and it's been fantastic.....is lining your hutch with stick on Lino, you can get this in squares from most pound shops, their house will look and last so much longer by doing this... Here's mine I think I used 6 packs for my 5ft hutch :) View attachment 11374
Wow I'll look in pound land or b&m tomorrow thanks:yahoo:

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 4
When did you first start doing it?

Hi, I stuck it down before I put my piggies in, but if you have your piggies now I you can still do this make sure your hutch is 100% dry and clean a good sweep out is a must else they won't stick! I honestly think my hutch will last so much longer because I've put the Lino down and because I have the proper weather for my hutch too :)
Kell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back