• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

3 lumps under the chin, what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brian and his 3 lumps under his chin, one is the size of the tip of my thumb, they are round and mobile, not attached, he is 9 weeks old and only weighs 500grm, he has not lost any weight, his weight is increasing, he eats, runs round popcorning, wheeking.
He drinks about 250mls a day, I have to fill his bottle twice aday. There is no sign of any inflammed skin, scurvy nor itchy, his hair is long and clean, there are no bite marks to the area.
I can not get him in the vets until saturday.
Any idea what they are?

Could be growths, cancerous lumps or abscesses

Are they very noticeable when just looking at him or can you just feel them :)

he is a long haired cornet and I can feel them, they are big and feel like the cysts I once had in my arm pit.

Oh right 0:) I wouldnt be too concerned unless they get slightly bigger or you notice a difference in his behaviour as if they are doing no harm to him then i wouldnt want him to be in pain cause of an op :-\

They actually sound like fatty lumps which are harmless,however 9 weeks is a bit young for this.In view of his young age iI would be inclined to get him to a vet.It could be cysts,or possibly,lymph glands but I think that is less likely.Get him checked as soon as possibly to be on the safe side

Thanks Mary, I am taking him on Saturday, I just am upset because of his age and is so tiny, he is very happy in his self, he is acting like there is nothing wrong with him, they have appeared over night, I physically check each of my 9 piggies every day but just seem to have had a bad patch with them, which has got me down. May be if I did not check everyday then I may miss a thing or 2.

As they have come up so quickly,I would guess at lymph nodes.It is a good sign that he is acting normally so he is not in pain.I think all you can do is get him to the vet early tomorrow.,I honestly would not wait till Saturday in case it is glands.

my vet can only get him in on Saturday and the other vets around here are great with cattle, horses, cats and dogs. One local vet said that it is the same treatment for rabbits, I ask him if he had ever dealt with a piggie before and he said no.

Oh dear,this is a problem.Is there no0 chance the vet could see him before surgery starts or after surgery finishes.?.

Maybe it would be best to go to any vet that can see you tomorrow just to have the glands checked.Surely any vet will be able to tell you whether the lympth glands are swollen are not.

I would say 1 of his lumps is on the geniohyoid and the other 2 are on each side on the platysma

Could be blocked salivary glands then.Is there any swelling in the armpits or groin?.

There is no swelling in the armpits or groin. One vet (not name them) said "We would treat him as if he was a ferret" I had to laugh, my friend rang his vets and all I could think was he is a butcher not a vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back