• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

3 holes on tooth? (Picture)

LadyC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I noticed that my 5 years old piggy started chewing slowly, sometimes it looked like something were stuck in her teeth that she was trying to get rid off. Today I discovered this on her lower incisor, it looks like three small holes.

I’m going to call the vet after the weekend, just wanted to hear what you guys think this might be, could it be overgrown teeth and plaque maybe?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2024-06-02 kl. 02.22.04.webp
    Skärmavbild 2024-06-02 kl. 02.22.04.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1543.webp
    IMG_1543.webp
    111.6 KB · Views: 1
teeth

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2024-06-02 kl. 02.28.42.webp
    Skärmavbild 2024-06-02 kl. 02.28.42.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
I'm not one of the experts but, unless it's the camera angle, her teeth look like they are wearing on a slant. Which often suggests a molar issue. Either way personally I would suggest a vet check.

Mmm not too sure about those holes how strange! I'm sure an expert will be on here soon though. 👍

I noticed that my 5 years old piggy started chewing slowly, sometimes it looked like something were stuck in her teeth that she was trying to get rid off. Today I discovered this on her lower incisor, it looks like three small holes.

I’m going to call the vet after the weekend, just wanted to hear what you guys think this might be, could it be overgrown teeth and plaque maybe?

Many thanks,

Hi

The teeth do look a bit long and they are slanted; but you can only judge properly but looking at the upper incisors and how they meet with the lower ones because in a balanced dental system the four front teeth abrade against each other; the ends should be even and sharp.

Overgrown front teeth either mean that their opposites may have broken off (please check whether that could be the case) or that the grinding premolars and molars at the back have started to overgrow for some reason.

It looks like little holes in the tooth? Could your girl have crashed into something face forward and potentially snapped theupper incisors in the same incident? The slant could however also point towards a moderate one-sided pain issue which leads to chewing more on the other side of the mouth instead of evenly. I would recommend to book a vet appointment for the coming week because only a hands-on examination can tell you what is going on.

Please switch immediately from the usual life long once weekly weigh-in on your normal kitchen scales to weighing daily first thing in the morning for best day to day comparison so you can plan the necessary level and frequsncy feeding support for the coming 24 hours. Keep in mind that over three quarters of what a guinea pig eats in a day is hay/grass which you cannot judge by eye. Your weight monitoring and your feeding support at home are as important as any veterinary care.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency

Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

I had a piggy with a tooth root abscess. Once it had cleared up, a few weeks later I noticed he had a hole in the tooth. It was from the abscess killing the tooth. It fell out and didn’t regrow.

Has your piggy been eating ok for the last few months and not losing weight?

@furryfriends (TEAS) any ideas?

Back