3 Cavi's Home Atlast

Status
Not open for further replies.

3littleguines

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We rescued out first little piggies today, originally we went along to meet two specific boys, two long haired boars.

After showing interest in one of the baby long haired piggys the lady said to us they would happily live in a trio. Having not read much about this I, maybe naively took her advice and took the 10 week old long haired with the two exciting boys. Around 12 months old.

However I've just read the article about Boar trios almost never beening successful?

Granted they've only been here around 8 hours they're still doing alot of hiding but so far they're all getting along, is this something I should be concerned about? Are they likely to fall out?

Wish I had read about it first but we had a moment of cute piggy madness

Can, Albus, weasley and Neville live together happily?

We rescued out first little piggies today, originally we went along to meet two specific boys, two long haired boars.

After showing interest in one of the baby long haired piggys the lady said to us they would happily live in a trio. Having not read much about this I, maybe naively took her advice and took the 10 week old long haired with the two exciting boys. Around 12 months old.

However I've just read the article about Boar trios almost never beening successful?

Granted they've only been here around 8 hours they're still doing alot of hiding but so far they're all getting along, is this something I should be concerned about? Are they likely to fall out?

Wish I had read about it first but we had a moment of cute piggy madness

Can, Albus, weasley and Neville live together happily?

You have got one major advantage in that your two older boys are out of the very worst of their own teenage months and will a hormonally more settled adulthood when the baby is coming into and going through the teenage months, so there is a greater chance of things working out than when you have three boys hitting the big hormones all at once - that is a real recipe for disaster!

Whether they make it or not depends on how dominant the little one turns out to be and how they gel as trio; it is always down to the individual character combination and the distribuition of sominant and submissive personalities. If you have got two submissive boys and one dominant one or three rather laid-back characters, then your chances are not bad.

It would however be great if you could plan ahead so you can separate at need and ideally keep the single boy as a next door companion or find him a character compatible boarmate (preferably of his own choice). All you can do is ride the tiger and see whether you can stay on top of it. ;)
These threads here give you more information and shows you what you can do to minimise the risk factors; it also lists all the options you have if things don't work out:
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

As you are new to guinea pigs, you may find our information bundle for new owners helpful:
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

PS: As we have got members from all the world and very different climtes and backgrounds, you can help us a lot to tailor any advice to your specific situation if you please added your country, state/province or Uk county, so we can really go for what is available and doable where you are instead of keeping it general. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Welcome to the forum. Fingers crossed on it working out for you and your boys.

Be great to see some photos of hem as they settle in.

Any questions piggy or forum related please ask

Lee

Thanks for the replies guys, planning to build them a big C&C cage so they can all have their own space. As they are getting more confident one of the older piggies, I'm thinking the boss is starting to "vibrate" at the little one and will try humping each other.

Bur they seem to have all picked thier own hides now and thier was no arguments with veggies this morning so we shall just have to see how it goes!

They still won't take any veggies from my hand though, stating to get concerned about brushing them as they are long haired I don't want them to get matted but I don't want to handle them too soon. :-S

They still won't take any veggies from my hand though, stating to get concerned about brushing them as they are long haired I don't want them to get matted but I don't want to handle them too soon. :-S

They will do in time.

When you do brush best trim the bum fur short, this takes away the need for brushing to often and helps with matts. Make sure you position you finger nearer the piggies skin so you don't nic anything and also don't pull as you cut

Yeah I'm going to trim them fairly regularly but don't panic I'm a dog Groomer pretty safe with a pair of scissors ✂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back