3 boars

BertGusandMonty

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m a brand new pig owner and was sold 3 boars from the pet shop last week. I was also sold a cage that is far too small, so I’ve upgraded them to a 5x2 c&c cage but I’m worried that this still isn’t big enough to give all 3 of them enough room.
Since then I’ve read that 3 boars won’t work, so my question is, do I seperate them now or wait for trouble to start? How do I know which one to seperate? I’m so worried I’m doing the wrong thing and feel so bad I’ve taken 3 rather than 2.

Photo shows Gus, Bert and Monty (left to right).
Bert is the biggest (560g) and the other 2 are (450g) so I’m not even sure they are the same litter or age.
Bert seems to be the most dominant at the moment.

Attachments

• 210250B6-C67F-4BA1-9717-A6C4E0641A63.webp
    210250B6-C67F-4BA1-9717-A6C4E0641A63.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 13
I’m sorry that you were misled. Being brothers unfortunately doesn’t make a difference as to whether they will get on or not.

I wouldn’t wait for trouble to start. Observe them and see which two seem to get on. Then you can separate and keep the singleton alongside them for interaction. Given that they may be quite young, you would be advised to find the singleton a friend of his own. I’ll link to recommended rescues below.

The other thing I would suggest you do is to sex them and make sure they are all boys. And take them to a vet for the once over. I believe there is generally a two week time period in which you can report health issues. I’ll also link to the sexing guide and vet list below.

All three are gorgeous of course :wub:

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Illustrated Sexing Guide

Welcome to the forum

Please don’t feel bad. You weren’t to know.
Do be certain they are all boars though. Unfortunately pet shop missexing is common.

Ok, so three boars are unlikely to work long term but if they are ok for now, then you can leave them together while you work out which two get on best. The other one can then be separated once you’ve worked out who that needs to be.

The single piggy will need to live in a separate cage but alongside the others so they he can have constant interaction through the bars.

You may be one of the lucky ones for whom a trio does happen to work but given they are pet shop piggies, likely just put together for sale it would be a good idea to be prepared with additional grids etc though so you can separate at a moments notice if needs be.

You are right though, a 5x2 isn’t big enough for three but it is perfect for two. ( for three boars you would need something more along the lines of a 9x3 to cover the one square metre of territory each)

Boar threesomes rarely work, but they can stay together while young, this gives you time to plan as to what to do next

Hello and welcome to the forum. They are all gorgeous 😍

Fingers crossed they carry on getting on. 🤞🏻

Maybe extend their cage now so they have plenty of room and less territorial issues.

I agree with the above. Keep them together for now, you’ll soon figure out their personalities. We are all here to help, if you’re unsure of behaviours you’re seeing

My boar trio works very well, but it’s nothing to do with numbers, I’m very lucky that their personalities work well. They also have lots of space (their own room in my spare room)

Just be sure to have plenty of separate hay piles, hides and water bottles 😊

I have 3 boys. Finn and Bear are buddies and live together. I got baby Ben not too long ago to keep Bear company when 7 years old Finn leaves us from old age.
Currently, Ben lives close to Finn and Bear in another cage because Finn and Bear wouldn’t let the new baby Ben join in the group.

Back