3 Boars

LawmanPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I bought a baby Guinea pig about two months ago, he is now 5-6 months old.
At first the bonding went really well and he submitted to the dominant pig teddy.
Now he has become sexually mature and is constantly humping the other submissive boar, bear. He will not challenge teddy however which is good but bear is 4 and is too old to be constantly humped.
The baby is being castrated on the 1st December but I need some help/guidance on knowing how to stop these dominating behaviours or limit them

Three boars is rarely a match, you can expect humping, chasing, to full on fights which can actually end up with injuries and all three piggies falling out and being split. Castration will not alter the dominance of your youngest boar whatsoever, most of the testosterone is made elsewhere. I would separate your young boar to live side by side for now if your other two live quite happily.

If your plan to castrate the young boar and then after 6 weeks try to bond with a female, or try and bond him with another boar then a good rescue might be your best chance of a successful bonding. Bare in mind that if you have a female in the “boar room” then it can cause problems for your other boar pair, the mixed pair are better in a separate room

Hi I bought a baby Guinea pig about two months ago, he is now 5-6 months old.
At first the bonding went really well and he submitted to the dominant pig teddy.
Now he has become sexually mature and is constantly humping the other submissive boar, bear. He will not challenge teddy however which is good but bear is 4 and is too old to be constantly humped.
The baby is being castrated on the 1st December but I need some help/guidance on knowing how to stop these dominating behaviours or limit them

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, you cannot curb teenage hormone spikes; your boy is currently at his life long all-time high although there are some more tricky times ahead and sudden shorter spikes can even linger into young adulthood.
Also be aware that neutering won't stop his behaviour just like a turned off tap or stop any hormonal spikes altogether. A lot of the testosterone is excreted via the urine. Neutering will at the best only cap the top but it is not an all heal solution for a dysfunctional boar trio. Your boy will still continue to go through all the usual stages of teenage.
Here is our comprehensive neutering guide about what neutering does and does not; post-op neutering care and common complications and how long you need to wait with an introduction to any sows post-neutering op.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

For the moment, the best you can do is to put in a divider in the cage for a short-term separation to allow a homone spike to die down over a couple of days, followed by a formal re-intro on neutral ground or you can keep him in an adjoining cage altogether if problems persist - the latter will likely mean a long term separation but boar trios are very often tricky.
Here is our pretty comprehensive teenage information, which you may find helpful:
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back