3 adult boars

ihave4bRATS

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve had these three together since they were babies and now they have to be 3+. Orville and Wilbur were drawing blood from each other so Orville got placed in a separate cage that is directly next to the original cage. I want to reintroduce him because I truly believe that the three would be happiest together, especially if I can get an even larger cage, but the issue now is that Wilbur and Edison have been arguing. Dominance stuff, no blood, but loud and constant. Please help! I just want my piggies to be happy.

I’m sorry to hear this.
First, well done for getting them that far into adulthood. Most boar trios fail in their teens and won’t ever make it to a year of age together.

Sadly as blood has been drawn you cannot reintroduce them. A full blood drawing fight is bond breaking and they are not likely to ever accept each other back. Attempting it would result in another fight.
Wilbur and Edison are trying to sort themselves and their hierarchy out as a pair. This will take them around two weeks so hopefully they will be fine together once they are through this stage.
Trying to add Orville back into it has the potential to, not only cause a fight between all three of them but to also destabilise Wilbur and Edison tryinf to function as a pair meaning you would risk having three single piggies going forward all refusing to live together.

Orville will be much happier being kept separate as he can interact between the bars but will now longer have to share territory or compete for dominance.
Provided Edison and Wilbur can function as a pair, then with a single and a pair, you currently have the best outcome of a failed boar trio.

I’m sorry to hear this.
First, well done for getting them that far into adulthood. Most boar trios fail in their teens and won’t ever make it to a year of age together.

Sadly as blood has been drawn you cannot reintroduce them. A full blood drawing fight is bond breaking and they are not likely to ever accept each other back. Attempting it would result in another fight.
Wilbur and Edison are trying to sort themselves and their hierarchy out as a pair. This will take them around two weeks so hopefully they will be fine together once they are through this stage.
Trying to add Orville back into it has the potential to, not only cause a fight between all three of them but to also destabilise Wilbur and Edison tryinf to function as a pair meaning you would risk having three single piggies going forward all refusing to live together.

Orville will be much happier being kept separate as he can interact between the bars but will now longer have to share territory or compete for dominance.
Provided Edison and Wilbur can function as a pair, then with a single and a pair, you currently have the best outcome of a failed boar trio.
Thank you :/ I appreciate the guidance. I feel bad as Orville does seem sad/lonely but I obviously prioritize their safety. I was hoping to reintroduce after all wounds are healed up but instead I’ll focus on getting Orville into a more permanent cage.

Its sad when a bond fails (one of my boar pairs fell out when they were younger and have lived as neighbours for well over a year now).

Perhaps the time might come that you can find Orville his own new friend - is he does struggle without having another piggy to live with?

Back