2 young boars trying to establish a pecking order, will this be ok?

IDal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m new here. I’m a second time guinea pig owner, but the last time was when I was a teenager. We just got two young teddy guinea pigs a week ago, Ben (black/brown) and Rico (named by my kids, not my choice). They are now 7,5 weeks old. They have a double cage (100x50 on 2 floors) and easily take the ramp and jump on there shelters, so they use the whole cage. I also bought a run for more space (enough fences for 225 by 75cm), but the jumping isn’t limited to the shelters, Rico also is capable of jumping the fence (27cm high). So right now I’m figuring out how to give them more space without the risk of them running loose in the house.

When I got them Ben was already the most relaxt. With Rico I doubted is he was more scared of more curious, I now tend to believe it’s both. He is clearly showing the more dominant behavior, rumble strutting and shaking his behind. He’s doing this also sometimes when Ben is not around, so I don’t know if its just dominant behavior, but he seems a bit young to be displaying mating behavior. Ben meanwhile shows submissive behavior (literally holding his head down and squeaking while Rico is holding his head up and rumbling). Now I sometimes see chasing behavior too, no true fighting. Rico on the other hand seems more skitish, so he’s like a nervous leader, where I sometimes wonder when he’s going to lash out. I also often hear a sort of sneezing/hissing sound, but this can also be when one is upstairs and one downstairs.

The problem is, they are only 7,5 weeks old, barely hitting puberty. Will this behavior get worse, or will they just figure it out before puberty? Also, Ben is slightly bigger (recently 515gr, Rico 505gr), will he at some point realize he is probably stronger and demand top spot?

Both are fine with being handled, and sitting on your arm for a while, eating from my or the childrens hand (they do not get to hold them, just slightly pet them and give them some lettuce or parsley). When startled they run to a shelter together and also at other moments sit in the same shelter when resting (Eventhough there are several shelters). They eat from the same bowl or on the same lettuce leave, but seem to prefer when I put veggies in the cage to each take their own side of the cage (I put veggies on 2 places for that reason).

Attachments

• 96321547-9224-4799-A7F5-7261F5D6F349.webp
    96321547-9224-4799-A7F5-7261F5D6F349.webp
    75.5 KB · Views: 12
  • CF500D1C-079E-4273-BE1F-96175E295F80.webp
    CF500D1C-079E-4273-BE1F-96175E295F80.webp
    55 KB · Views: 10
  • 91D08D97-0772-4437-9455-A8830686296D.webp
    91D08D97-0772-4437-9455-A8830686296D.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to the forum

i am afraid your cage is far too small and doesn’t meet welfare standards.
Being double storey does not count towards the cage size (it doesn’t double the space) and piggies need a single level cage .
For two boars the cage needs to be 180x60cm on a single level. Please do get them a bigger cage as sadly the on you haven’t doesn’t meet their needs (120x60cm on one level is the smallest two piggies should be in but this will also be too small for two boars) And will cause big problems for a boar pair if they don’t have a big enough single level space. Ramps can be a problem for teenage boars if one of them claims it as their own and refuses to let the other use it.

The run is a lovely size but as it doesn’t form their permanent living space then it doesn’t count

Cage Size Guide

Rumbling is not just a mating behaviour (boars are fertile from three weeks of age so they definitely are not too young for that!) it is also dominance and entirely normal for you to be seeing this

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thanks for the answer. The intention was to have the run available during the day and only closing the cage at night, allowing them enough room to walk around. Seeing how easy Rico is jumping, I’m afraid CC cage like run will not contain him either. That is why I’m trying to find a solution for that, I don’t feel comfortable anymore with a cage that doesn’t have a roof, because our house is not safe for them to run loose in. I know just the cage isn’t enough, but it is all I have at the moment. I hadn’t thought of the ramp being claimed, so I will definitely look into that too, for now they are fine both using it.

Thanks for the answer. The intention was to have the run available during the day and only closing the cage at night, allowing them enough room to walk around. Seeing how easy Rico is jumping, I’m afraid CC cage like run will not contain him either. That is why I’m trying to find a solution for that, I don’t feel comfortable anymore with a cage that doesn’t have a roof, because our house is not safe for them to run loose in. I know just the cage isn’t enough, but it is all I have at the moment. I hadn’t thought of the ramp being claimed, so I will definitely look into that too, for now they are fine both using it.

Hi and welcome

Have a look at C&C cages and puppy or pannelled rabbit runs that can be folded up and put away.
The run can be easily jumped by piggies.

When looking for a boar cage, I would recommend to opt for a size that can if needed be divided either temporarily or permanent if the teenage hormones hit; i.e. preferably a 2x6 or 3x4 C&C grid cage with 2 or 3 spare grids. That will give your boys optimal space and make your life a lot easier in the case you run into trouble since you won't be incurring extra cost but have the necessary flexibility. ;)

Here is more helpful information for suitable housing options:
Cage Size Guide
All About C & C Grid Cages Around The World
Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding
Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

Please double-check the gender of both boys next time you do your health monitoring weekly weigh-in and body onceover, just to be on the safe side:
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Post-bonding/group changes/moving into a new territory dominance phase: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (see the relevant chapter)

Here is our very helpful practical information collection for New Owners of which all of the above guides are part: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

I added a 4x2 grit cage/run to their cage that is permanently open to them. I found gates 3x9 at caviadraadkubus.nl to make the gates a bit higher. Rico now jumps easily and for fun on platforms 22cm high, so the extra gates make me feel more secure they will stay in.
They are now almost 9 weeks old and weigh 614 and 624 grams. I still hear a lot of rumbling (mostly Rico), but Ben seems to offer more resistance now. I see them with heads high in standoff and some chasing. No true fighting, but sometimes it seems close. They do also eat together and shelter in the same house. Often they are together on the first floor. They have been together all their lives and here at home with the same main cage for a few weeks.

If it would go wrong, at what age would that happen? Or can I expect them to be ok now?

Attachments

• BF6C4E6F-3F7D-4A92-9A1A-54EF3ADA6050.webp
    BF6C4E6F-3F7D-4A92-9A1A-54EF3ADA6050.webp
    59 KB · Views: 11
I added a 4x2 grit cage/run to their cage that is permanently open to them. I found gates 3x9 at caviadraadkubus.nl to make the gates a bit higher. Rico now jumps easily and for fun on platforms 22cm high, so the extra gates make me feel more secure they will stay in.
They are now almost 9 weeks old and weigh 614 and 624 grams. I still hear a lot of rumbling (mostly Rico), but Ben seems to offer more resistance now. I see them with heads high in standoff and some chasing. No true fighting, but sometimes it seems close. They do also eat together and shelter in the same house. Often they are together on the first floor. They have been together all their lives and here at home with the same main cage for a few weeks.

If it would go wrong, at what age would that happen? Or can I expect them to be ok now?

Hi

Please take a deep breath. We strongly recommend to scent-mark any new territory with their mingled scent as it requires a new hierarchy sort-out in order to establish the group in a new territory. Any change in personnel or territory triggers that. The behaviour is consistent with that. It is described in the chapter on the 'Dominance Phase' in our bonding guide as an inevitable part of any personnel change, of course: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Your boys are clearly avoiding going right up to the line, so you need not worry. Things will calm down again.

Back