2 Year Old Rescue Pig. Advice?

RabbitLord

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys. My first visit to this forum and my first guinea pig. I have 5 rabbits and tons of experience with them but guinea pigs are new to me. I've done some research but there's kind of a grey area I could use a little help with.

The shelter said he was surrendered and spent the 2 years alone. Is it too late to socialize him with another pig? Any other advice to help him feel at home?

I wouldn't say it's too late- do you know why they kept him alone? You could try him with a younger boar or perhaps have him neutered and get him a pig wife.

I would give him 3 to 5 days with no handling or much disruption so he gets time to settle in- obviously feed and clean but no excessive touching unless he seems fine with it. Talking softly to him and letting him smell you is great and giving him a bit of food when you go to interact with him will make him associate you with good things. A friend would help him feel calmer also. :)

I believe the previous owners kept him alone because they didn't know any better. He's a really quiet guy. Hardly a peep from him, which leads me to believe there was a lack of socialization when he was younger.

I found a rescue that has quite a few pigs and Ill be taking him in to introduce him to some on tuesday!
That's wonderful, I hope he hits it off with one of them and come home with a best buddy. He might even seem to be a completely different piggie when he has a friend.

I was going to say the same thing! Our piggy Rocket has been alone for a while and we recently introduced and have integrated him with a young board that we've called Bolt. He's only 7-9 weeks old - That apparantly makes it easier. He is such a different animal around his friend than he was before - He was quiet and barely squeeked - Now he's up active and squeeking!

Got him a friend! They hit it off at the rescue but now theyre figuring out whos gonna be the boss of the space they'll share. teeth chattering sounds and a little light chasing. Nothing to worry about?

I put a little divider in to stop the chasing for now, is that ok? Will it be detrimental to the bonding experience?

I put a little divider in to stop the chasing for now, is that ok? Will it be detrimental to the bonding experience?

I wouldn't have put the barrier in no. It will only mean you need to start over. Things you should expect to see during the bonding process is: mounting, chasing, nipping and rumbling. They are likely doing this now despite getting in at the rescue because it's a new place- "hey just because we've moved I'm still boss!" We advise only separating if bullying occurs or blood is drawn.

I would put them in a neutral space with a pile of hay and veg and leave them together for a couple of hours plus- do it over a weekend if you feel unsure.

Sounds good! Ill got get some veg!

Yeah I saw all of that kinda stuff, and none of it was particularly violent (not like the time 2 of my rabbits got into it lol) .

Sounds good! Ill got get some veg!

Yeah I saw all of that kinda stuff, and none of it was particularly violent (not like the time 2 of my rabbits got into it lol) .

I know it can be hard to watch- my boys were fine when I first put them together and it was only that night that they went crazy doing the mounting etc. I also made the mistake of separating them thinking they were hurting each other. Luckily when I reintroduced them they just continued like they hadn't been apart. In the end I had to put them in another room until they were bonded so I didn't worry and separate for no reason haha. Oh gosh rabbits can be quite feisty can't they?

My rescue was alone for around the same amount of time as yours and he seems very happy now to have a friend :D

I would start here:

Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

Read the guides, and look at the pictures.
I would never have survived boding without them.

Set up a large, neutral area (the guides will explain it fully) and set aside a good chunk of time.
And then you have to sit back and just let them get on with it.
While they are doing that you need to be close by in case things get out of hand, so if you can have the bonding pen near their cages it is the perfect chance to clean everything for when they go back in together.
Good luck with it all - it is wonderful you have got a friend for your piggy so I hope it works out.

Update: They're doing pretty well! They still have their moments maybe a few times a day when I hear one of them protesting their sudden eviction from a pig house or one is still trying to mount the other. But I'd say 90% they're fine just chilling or eating hay and veg together. They're not best buds yet it seems but I'm sure its a gradual thing.

I know I’m a bit late, but congratulations on getting a guinea pig! :clap:Putting a younger guinea pig with a older one can work quite well. An younger guinea pig will less likely seem as a threat to the older one. But make sure to keep an eye on them in the beginning to make sure their not fighting or the older one is bullying the younger. I also would recommend you do research on how to introduce them to each other.

Back