2 tier hutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am wanting to get my piggies a bigger home now their are two of them and was thinking a 2 tier one will be best as i have my current hutch inside the run so they can come out whilst I'm at work and go back in when they get tired, so therefore i could put a two tier hutch in there but they still have more room. Only problem is my little baby piggie Lily is blind so dont know if she would be safe with a ladder/ramp? do you think i could put some wood along it so she cant fall off...I'm a bit stuck PLEASE HELP 98)

you could try a side on ramp but make it less steep as steep ramps are difficult espewith poor eyesight
or try a tube at least 4 inches across

i find a lot of pigs refuse to use a ramp, and so get trapped at the top or bottom of the hucth ::) ;D
but like ron said you could try making a tube type ramp they are more likely to use it :)

If you make them a tube like ramp they should with time get to the top hutch.
It all takes practice for them. A blind piggy though is more likely to stay at the bottom, so you might have to put a little house down there too.

when I got my boys they had never used a ramp or anything before, my dad build my a ramp with little bits of wood across so its more like a ladder, they can grip on it and dont slide, they got used to it fairly quickly and it seems to keep their claws down as I dont have to cut thiers as much as I did for honey or toffee. O0

thank you very much definately going to look into it as when Lily gets bigger they will need some more room

I have just posted about this on general chat not realising this was here!

I am converting a two tier hutch as well... I am putting sides to the ramp and running it along the sides of the hutch to make it less steep... i am putting non slip rubber flooring on the ramp so that they can't slide and have better grip...

Also where the opening is on the top hutch i would put a wooden cover over it (like you get on a subway entrance in New york if you know what i mean) leaving one way to get in and not letting any piggies fall down the hole...

I neednt have posted my other thread! ;D

ours use a ramp with no problems, the old hutch had little slats accross but it was a pain to keep clean.

the new hutch is just a wooden slope ( not that steep ) easier to clean with a paint scrapper and they seem to manage it fine

Nx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back