2 teenage boars in one carrier?

GreenThings

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I took my two 3 month old (approx) rescue boys to the vet on Friday in a small cardboard box with a liner (that they, of course, managed to get underneath ten seconds into the trip) and they did just fine-- no audible fussing or scuffling the car. I bought a sturdier top-opening cat carrier today (part of my hurricane emergency plan-- the turtle, the birds, and the pigs have their strategically positioned carriers... my poor tetras must depend on luck) and placed them inside while I did a Big Clean (for daily poop-scooping, I just do one half of the cage at a time).

I think I'm going to need to evolve my tactics for picking them up without chasing-- they were wary after the vet trip, and poor Sam (whose been getting ringworm spot treatment above his nose twice daily) chattered his teeth at me, so they were stressed going in together. I was surprised to hear him chattering at Frodo, who started making what I think are those high-pitched complaining/anxious noises-- Frodo seems to rumble-strut performatively at every opportunity, but neither of them usually chatter at each other. I solved the problem neatly by just sticking an empty (clean) frozen pizza box between them-- it didn't keep them separated, but I think it transformed the carrier into an engaging labyrinth lol. It gave Frodo something to "hide" behind if he wanted and distracted both of them.

Is it dangerous to put two boars into a small space like this? Should I have a real divider in the carrier-- maybe sew two "pockets"? I don't want to provoke a fight. The boys playfully chase each other, and I really can't tell who is head boar (I think it's Sam-- Frodo rumbles more, but he still gives up his coveted spot when Sam comes snuffling by; then again, Frodo wins much more of the veg), so I don't want to ruin their relationship at a vulnerable stage.

It's hard to get good photos because I have them in a dimly lit area of the living room, but here's a short vid of their reaction to their new set-up!

If they are well bonded and want to be together then it is perfectly safe and fine for them to be in the same carrier together. There should be absolutely no need for any barriers or separations at all.
In fact separating bonded boars is where problems can be caused.

In terms of the ringworm, please read the guide below.
Spot treatments can fail to catch the wider area where spores can be shed from and therefore prolong infection and risk reinfection.
Ringworm spores can live in the environment for up to two years so very thorough disinfection is needed.

Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

If they are well bonded and want to be together then it is perfectly safe and fine for them to be in the same carrier together. There should be absolutely no need for any barriers or separations at all.
In fact separating bonded boars is where problems can be caused.

In terms of the ringworm, please read the guide below.
Spot treatments can fail to catch the wider area where spores can be shed from and therefore prolong infection and risk reinfection.
Ringworm spores can live in the environment for up to two years so very thorough disinfection is needed.

Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures
Thank you! That is great to know-- this is another area where budgies are similar (although they are far easier to re-integrate, it's more the stress of being alone and toll it takes that is dangerous), but I feel I have a much better grasp on what bonded/sociable budgies look like than guinea pigs. I did have two boy budgies who bickered and didn't groom or regurgitate for one another, but I could sense how much safer they felt together, that is sort of the vibe I'm getting from the boars (at least for now).

Yes! I definitely read that guide (just about every guide on this site) during their first week home-- it helped me recognize the faint signs of possible infection! I detailed my vet's reasoning for not giving baths or oral medication here. I questioned her extensively specifically because I'd read that guide. I've had bad experiences with other exotic vets, but I really trust this one, so I'm going to start with what she recommended and revisit the idea of baths only if Frodo starts showing signs or the infection reoccurs/spreads.

I've been using gloves, a dedicated apron, and treating the whole area/items with F10 (so glad I got some years ago for the budgies, it's so hard to get in the states), washing/drying on high heat, etc. I've replaced their cardboard hides every other day until I finish their fleece ones-- when I do everything in the cage will be washable. They're on vinyl flooring that's easily sprayed down, and I personally have been using Nizoral on myself (my budgies had a rough go with stealthy Canidia-- didn't respond to Nystatin and had to treat and re-treat with Voriconazole)-- I'm in full fungus-fighting mode.

I always have my boys carrier out as part of their floor time. This way they are familiar with it. When I have to take them somewhere I make sure the fleece in it is one they have been using so it smells familiar.
Loving their new home and the baby zooming ❤️

Back