2 Or 3 Buckets Of Joy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellybelly07

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm getting some piggies and I can't deside between 2 and 3! Pros and cons of both? expense diference? I'm a first timer so whatever you think would be best. I'm worried if i get 2 then if one dies, the other one wont have a friend! Thanks for the help!

Three is tricky as one can get left out. Four is perfect though....

I started off with one boy - he died! :( I then got 2, one of each, the girl died! :( I then got 2 girls, one of them had a baby (a boy), so I had 4! Boy moved in with old boar - old fella died! :( youngster was de-nutted and moved back in with the girls once safe. So I'm currently slave to 3 fat, noisy, demanding furry bundles of dictatorship! :)) :)) :))

IMAG0111.jpg

Which country or part of the country are you located in? Could you please add that to your details, as it will impinge a lot on your options and our recommendations. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location.

You may also find this thread here helpful as it discusses all the pros and cons of possible combinations: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

Trios tend to be the constellation that is most difficult to get right without ending up with some kind of outsider problem, or in the case of three baby boars a pretty guaranteed separation. Two well bonded sows and a neutered boar of their choice is the safest trio combination.

and that's what I have and it works very well. ;)

Which country or part of the country are you located in? Could you please add that to your details, as it will impinge a lot on your options and our recommendations. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location.

You may also find this thread here helpful as it discusses all the pros and cons of possible combinations: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

Trios tend to be the constellation that is most difficult to get right without ending up with some kind of outsider problem, or in the case of three baby boars a pretty guaranteed separation. Two well bonded sows and a neutered boar of their choice is the safest trio combination.
do you think that a trio of bonded sows could work? What would i do if i got 2 sows that were bonded and then one died? dont they always need a friend?! thanks for the help :))

To be honest, whether you start with two or three sows, you will inevitably end up with the same problem of having to add another piggy for company. With sows, you have the possibility to look for younger sows or a neutered boar. A trio of sows can work or not, depending on the individual balance of personalities. I have and have had successful trios and others that didn't work out.

There are some rescues in the USA, comparatively not as many as in Britain; shelters can also have guinea pigs looking for new homes. You can find a local ones via petfinder. Generally, you will find that piggies are preferably being rehomed as same gender pairs.

To be honest, whether you start with two or three sows, you will inevitably end up with the same problem of having to add another piggy for company. With sows, you have the possibility to look for younger sows or a neutered boar. A trio of sows can work or not, depending on the individual balance of personalities. I have and have had successful trios and others that didn't work out.

There are some rescues in the USA, comparatively not as many as in Britain; shelters can also have guinea pigs looking for new homes. You can find a local ones via petfinder. Generally, you will find that piggies are preferably being rehomed as same gender pairs.
ok thanks that will probably work. i geuss ill prbably go for 2 just to not risk it :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back