2 New Little Piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joannejuliewow

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm new and new to being piggy mum. My two girls Elsa (Himalayan) and Anna (american) (don't giggle) are 6 months old. I got them at the end of July.
I have a 2x6 cage with a loft and a run that they go into daily and all of that is indoors. They have a one of everything each e.g food bowls, water bottles, toys,chews, hay bags, litter trays and they have 2 houses each. This due to all the rumbling they do at each other. They fight over EVERYTHING. God forbid they use the same thing at the same time.
I've read up a lot about guinea behavior and especially about rumbling and dominance. I understand rumbling is normal but it is constant all day and I'm not exaggerating. They nip and headbutt and screech. If they are within 6 inches of each other that is it. I've tried separating them for a few hours e.g one in the run and one in the cage but they wheek for each other but when back together it starts again.

Is this normal?

Thanks x

anna.webp

Hi there!

I'm new and new to being piggy mum. My two girls Elsa (Himalayan) and Anna (american) (don't giggle) are 6 months old. I got them at the end of July.
I have a 2x6 cage with a loft and a run that they go into daily and all of that is indoors. They have a one of everything each e.g food bowls, water bottles, toys,chews, hay bags, litter trays and they have 2 houses each. This due to all the rumbling they do at each other. They fight over EVERYTHING. God forbid they use the same thing at the same time.
I've read up a lot about guinea behavior and especially about rumbling and dominance. I understand rumbling is normal but it is constant all day and I'm not exaggerating. They nip and headbutt and screech. If they are within 6 inches of each other that is it. I've tried separating them for a few hours e.g one in the run and one in the cage but they wheek for each other but when back together it starts again.

Is this normal?

Thanks x

View attachment 37053

Oh, that pigture is gorgeous! I would keep an eye on them. How long have you had them together? If it's been a while, I'd hope they would have almost settled by now. The nipping makes me think this might not be a friendship made in heaven, but it could still work! Do you notice one being more dominant than the other? If they are both fairly dominant then it might take longer for one to back down as they both want to be boss. If you find a pig is getting stressed or injured, it would probably be best to separate them :( Let us know how you get on!

Hello! Glad we got you onto the forum, apologies for the delay.

Hmmmmm, tricky one. It does sound like they aren't a perfect match, but they are young and hormones are flying around. You are doing everything right, two of everything and you have a great size cage for them. Has it been like this since day one?

Oh, that pigture is gorgeous! I would keep an eye on them. How long have you had them together? If it's been a while, I'd hope they would have almost settled by now. The nipping makes me think this might not be a friendship made in heaven, but it could still work! Do you notice one being more dominant than the other? If they are both fairly dominant then it might take longer for one to back down as they both want to be boss. If you find a pig is getting stressed or injured, it would probably be best to separate them :( Let us know how you get on!

Well I know sometimes its frowned upon but I got them from pets at home and they were together in the cage then, I've had them since the 22nd of July and its been the same ever since, just now they were wrestling. And at first Anna was the more dominant but Elsa seems too be challenging her in the past month and that when it starte to worry me. Thanks for your reply. x

Hello! Glad we got you onto the forum, apologies for the delay.

Hmmmmm, tricky one. It does sound like they aren't a perfect match, but they are young and hormones are flying around. You are doing everything right, two of everything and you have a great size cage for them. Has it been like this since day one?

Hello I'm glad too haha! Yes since day one,

My pigs are from there too! Please don't shoot me, but I also work there XD As it's been about 2.5 months, I have a feeling it just might not work out, especially now that Elsa is sticking up for herself! :( As well it being from day one, it looks like they just don't get on I guess :) Being in store can be stressful for pets, and they often rely on each other for support and comfort and so get on fairly well - then when they get home and relax, the challenging begins XD

It does sound like a tempestuous relationship .

It doesn't matter where you got your piggies from, they are loved that is the main thing. There have been no out and out fights?

Beautiful photo by the way of one of them :love:

Is there anything I could try before separating them? My boyfriend will go mad, we had 2 robo hamsters that had to be separated due to fighting they are in separate cages now lol! If it comes to that then I'll have too, would they get on with other piggies?

My pigs are from there too! Please don't shoot me, but I also work there XD As it's been about 2.5 months, I have a feeling it just might not work out, especially now that Elsa is sticking up for herself! :( As well it being from day one, it looks like they just don't get on I guess :) Being in store can be stressful for pets, and they often rely on each other for support and comfort and so get on fairly well - then when they get home and relax, the challenging begins XD

Pets at home is my favorite shop to be honest and I've applied there so many times! I just see so many posts online I thought I better be careful haha!

It does sound like a tempestuous relationship .

It doesn't matter where you got your piggies from, they are loved that is the main thing. There have been no out and out fights?

Beautiful photo by the way of one of them :love:

That is Anna, Elsa is camera shy :lol!:

Is there anything I could try before separating them? My boyfriend will go mad, we had 2 robo hamsters that had to be separated due to fighting they are in separate cages now lol! If it comes to that then I'll have too, would they get on with other piggies?

Pets at home is my favorite shop to be honest and I've applied there so many times! I just see so many posts online I thought I better be careful haha!

That is Anna, Elsa is camera shy :lol!:

I know right, I feel so lucky to have got my job there c:
You could try re-introducing them on neutral territory, so they can't smell each other on the environment or you could totally wipe-out their cage and bath them to get rid of their 'eau-de-pig' and re-introduce, but when they don't get on first time it usually remains that way unfortunately :( BTW, Anna is so freakin' CUTE :D

Anna is :love:

You could try re-introductions but I think it would go the same way... How would they be with 2 grids separating the cage so they could see each other?

Oh, could you add your location to your profile too, it helps as we have members all over the world.

This is Elsa, I've updated my location, I'm going to a little barrier for now thanks for your help!
I know right, I feel so lucky to have got my job there c:
You could try re-introducing them on neutral territory, so they can't smell each other on the environment or you could totally wipe-out their cage and bath them to get rid of their 'eau-de-pig' and re-introduce, but when they don't get on first time it usually remains that way unfortunately :( BTW, Anna is so freakin' CUTE :D

Anna is :love:

You could try re-introductions but I think it would go the same way... How would they be with 2 grids separating the cage so they could see each other?

Oh, could you add your location to your profile too, it helps as we have members all over the world.

12075046_1636911013249816_6867905132842436920_n.webp

Awww what a cutie :love: If they spend all time trying to get to each other then its a fail, but maybe just interaction through the bars may be the best for these ASBO ladies. Can't hurt to try a bonding again though in neutral run then back in clean cage....

Awww what a cutie :love: If they spend all time trying to get to each other then its a fail, but maybe just interaction through the bars may be the best for these ASBO ladies. Can't hurt to try a bonding again though in neutral run then back in clean cage....

I'll see how it goes if they are alright I'll try the neutral bonding.

Hope you enjoy the forum, looking forward to seeing more of your girls on here

Hi and welcome, I can't help as I only have board, but you've had plenty of replies yo help you out already :-) and gorgeous piggy by the way?

I think it's great that you work there, we know atleast one store in the country has a knowledgable person and someone who actually cares!

Hi and welcome, I can't help as I only have board, but you've had plenty of replies yo help you out already :-) and gorgeous piggy by the way?

I think it's great that you work there, we know atleast one store in the country has a knowledgable person and someone who actually cares!
Aw that's really kind of you to say, thank you :luv:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back