2 in one carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussiesue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have an appt at a rescue on Sunday and hope to be bringing home 2 female guinea pigs. We are organised at home i think but quick question about transport home - about a 45 min trip. Will they be ok together in the one cat carrier? It is a smallish one. What is best to pop in it so they'll be as comfy as possible? Newspaper and an old towel? Should I put in some hay? Should I take a box as well if its best they travel separately. I figured they'd feel safer together but would love to hear some transporting tips from you as we are very new to this.

We have a 120cm x 60cm cage, plastic base. (Largest I could find.) Have a pigloo and one of those bendy stick type shelters, 2 water bottles, 2 ceramic food bowls for pellets/veg, a hay rack. Some fleece cosy sack type things. 2 lap mats coming Monday. Have kiln dried dust extracted wood shavings and also care fresh to try out for bedding. Have a big bag of Timothy hay and some oxbow pellets. I'm guessing we should get some of whatever they've been eating at the rescue then transition gradually to our supplies? Veggie shopping Sunday and will check what their favourites are with he lady from the shelter. Can't wait to meet them.

Oh how exciting! I would have them both in the carrier so they feel safe. I put a fleece at the bottom. If it is a journey of more then an hour you can add hay and slices of cucumber to keep them hydrated. You will need two hideys as they will sometimes want their own space.

If your two piggies are already bonded, they can travel together and will be happier to have somebody to snuggle up with. You may get the odd scream or whimper of protest when one of them is climbing on top of the other and the bottom piggy is too afraid to scramble away...

I find putting an old towel in the bottom gives better grip than newspaper. Add a little bit hay; I assume that you have got an air conditioned car?

I'm sooo excited for you, new piggies are very exciting, good luck and I'm sure your be a great piggy parent as I can tell by your preparations you have done your research! You'll have to post pigtures once they are settled

I use a cat carrier for my 2 and just put newspaper and hay in it. If my 2 are anything to go by then it doesn't matter how much space they have they will scrunch up at the very far end. Barney usually travels on top of Toby's head!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Yes air conditioned car. Summer has just begun here so have been reading up on the preparing for hot days information.

While we have just had an almighty winter storm with a 60 year record storm flood... :mal:

That's why I was asking. Your girls will be OK in the air conditioned car; just let the worst of the hot air out before you drive off. The trip is not very long, so I wouldn't worry about feeding or watering.

Be aware that they probably won't eat and drink in their new home straight away. Just leave some fresh greens and a bit cucumber or melon near their hidey for them to just stick their head out while they settle down and get their bearings. They won't perish and will probably come out when nobody is in the room and they can feel safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back