• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

2 Day old pig with cloudy eye

Guineapigqatcher

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I know very little about guinea pigs so any advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR Two day old guinea pig has cloudy (but otherwise normal) eye and I don’t know if he had it yesterday, what do I do?

I am watching my neighbors animals for the week, this included 2 guinea pigs, one of which was round as a bowling ball. They weren’t sure if it was pregnant though, but just two days after they left (yesterday) I came in to clean out the cage and there were three little babys! The mother and her babies and the other pig have been put in separate cages. Today, I came in to check on them and when I picked up one of the baby pigs I noticed one of his eyes is cloudy. I checked them all over breifly yesterday and they all seem fine but I wanted to leave them with their mother so it’s possible I missed something. He is the smallest of the group (not by a lot though) and seems to be doing fine otherwise. The eye, other than the cloudiness is completely normal. Should I be worried?

Hello! I know very little about guinea pigs so any advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR Two day old guinea pig has cloudy (but otherwise normal) eye and I don’t know if he had it yesterday, what do I do?

I am watching my neighbors animals for the week, this included 2 guinea pigs, one of which was round as a bowling ball. They weren’t sure if it was pregnant though, but just two days after they left (yesterday) I came in to clean out the cage and there were three little babys! The mother and her babies and the other pig have been put in separate cages. Today, I came in to check on them and when I picked up one of the baby pigs I noticed one of his eyes is cloudy. I checked them all over breifly yesterday and they all seem fine but I wanted to leave them with their mother so it’s possible I missed something. He is the smallest of the group (not by a lot though) and seems to be doing fine otherwise. The eye, other than the cloudiness is completely normal. Should I be worried?

Hi and welcome
The baby has very likely an in-turned eyelid (entropion) where the tiny lashes are constantly scratching the eye surface and have caused an ulceration (infection); it is not all that uncommon in newborns. Please see a vet. This is something that is very easy to correct but can do permanently damage or even cause blindness if left untended.
It is great that you are checking on your neighbour's babies.
More information on entropion: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

You should be within your customer rights for having been sold technically damaged ware to reclaim any vet fees and other extra cost resulting from the pregnancy.
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Please double check the gender of the of the companion - they can be either male or female if the sale is less than 10 weeks back and impregnation has happened before the sale.
Our sexing guide shows you exactly where to look and what to look and feel for - there are some less obvious areas than the outside appearance that are gender divisive and much clearer - you will find plenty of comparison pictures of piggies of different ages. We are trying to encourage as many people as possible to learn how sex piggies correctly themselves since mis-sexing at any stage is so rife.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Here is our surprise babies practical information pack: Surprise-babies-care-and-information-collection (incl-help-with-any-dads)

Please accept that because we are a strictly no intentional breeding forum, our pregnancy and baby care information is only visible to members who have accepted our forum policy during sign up so your neighbour may want to join the forum as well for all the little questions and ongoing support until the babies are properly sexed and if necessary separated at the correct age.

Hi and welcome
The baby has very likely an in-turned eyelid (entropion) where the tiny lashes are constantly scratching the eye surface and have caused an ulceration (infection); it is not all that uncommon in newborns. Please see a vet. This is something that is very easy to correct but can do permanently damage or even cause blindness if left untended.

You should be within your customer rights for having been sold technically damaged ware to reclaim any vet fees and other extra cost resulting from the pregnancy.
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Please double check the gender of the of the companion - they can be either male or female if the sale is less than 10 weeks back and impregnation has happened before the sale.
Our sexing guide shows you exactly where to look and what to look and feel for - there are some less obvious areas than the outside appearance that are gender divisive and much clearer - you will find plenty of comparison pictures of piggies of different ages. We are trying to encourage as many people as possible to learn how sex piggies correctly themselves since mis-sexing at any stage is so rife.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Here is our surprise babies practical information pack: Surprise-babies-care-and-information-collection (incl-help-with-any-dads)

Please accept that because we are a strictly no intentional breeding forum, our pregnancy and baby care information is only visible to members who have accepted our forum policy during sign up so your neighbour may want to join the forum as well for all the little questions and ongoing support until the babies are properly sexed and if necessary separated at the correct age.
Hi and welcome

Illustrated Sexing Guide

Thank you! I will absolutely tell the owners to get him to the vet asap. One more question, though: On further inspection the baby has some other things wrong with it- all problems are on the same side as the cloudy eye. One side of its face seems smaller than the other (the cheek on the right side looks like all its siblings, kinda rounded, whereas the left side is more flat) and it can't seem to move its back foot on the left side either. When you touch it, the toes don't move at all, like they do with the rest of its feet. The leg can move, and it can even scratch itself on that side, but the foot itself has no mobility. This is clear when it walks as well, as it does kind of a "hop". It doesn't seem to be in pain, but I don't think I could tell if it was. Other than the physical differences, it behaves like its siblings and is eating well. Are these signs indicative of any other common guinea pig disease or deformity?

Back