• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

2 boys..different prolems..help!

• Thread starter Thread starter spudnik
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spudnik

Hi, I noticed shakey was looking a bit thin earlier in the week, and tonight he seems to have gone quite boney looking, i dont know why he eats like a horse, drinks like a fish has plenty of veg/hay/dry food available to him which he eats all of, inc any treats i give too, his poop/pee is fine too he's normally just appears to be getting rather boney and thin he's only 8 months old :S do you think it would be wise to feed him some oxbow critical care once a day to help with his weight?

His brother duke is quite chunky, the same age and his eye seems to be drooping like the bottom of the eyelid, i know this can occur in guinea pigs.. how does it affect them health wise? its not bad only a tiny bit but ive noticed it and i showed my mum and she said she could see it its like 1-2mm if that but its noticable to me, do i need to do anything about it..or will it just droop and stay like that?

btw their weights are shakey: 790g 8 months old, and duke also 8 months 810g

there isnt much difference but shakey seems a lot more boney and has less fat on him than duke.

Has he actually lost weight? Weigh him and see if he does over the next wheek.

You could syringe feed but you need too get to the problem rather than mask it really.

As he is eating and drinking a lot and not gaining weight,there is a chance that he has diabetis.It would be a good idea to get a vet to do a blood test.Diabetis in piggies can be maintained with insulin.

The droopy eye lid is not a health threat,it may reverse but most likely not.

i thought he did have diabetes, he drinks an awful lot! i 'll keep an eye on his weight, and maybe take him to the vets although my vets are useless so i'll see if i can find a good vet out of town..thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back