2 boars rattling at each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My two boars had a bit of a fall out a few weeks back :'(this was down to having smaller accomadation, I've taken in two foster piggies so when the weather got cold their c&c grids were shared out between the 4 pigs..

Now my own two have their larger home back and no fighting since .
They don't seem keen on each other at all though they don't go by each other and usually stay out of each others way. They seem okay sharing food though but somtimes they make rattling noises at each other, do I need to separate them ?

If they're not fighting I wouldnt seperate them. They might just have fallen out temporarily. Were they in the same room as the pther pigs? Maybe the smell of other pigs upset them? ?

Yes they were all in the conservatory. . My two foster piggies are now in a nero cage and in a different room.

No I deffo wouldn't separate them unless they are starting to fight and really seem to hate each other. I think they're just trying to re-establish their dominance and the pecking order now it's just the two of them again. Good luck O0 I'm sure it's just a phase they're going through!

When I got "new" piggies, it caused temporary problems with my other pairs of boars too, but things settled down after a few days. I wouldnt seperate, it sounds like a tempoary thing and they are not full on fighting O0

I have two teenage boars who were happily bonded and then started fighting! I think it's a dominance thing- one got nasty scratches and I very nearly separated them but I watched them closely and although they still rattle occasionally they seem to be settling down. Mine tend to be worse when the fresh veggies come! Lesley

Hi Karen,

I wouldn't seperate until it was a real dire situation where it's just a ball of fur rolling around! Teeth chattering can turn nasty, rumbling is nothing major but watch them when it happens and play it by ear. Hopefully they will be ok. Are they teens at the mo?

Flopy is above two and Zac is about 5 or 6 months old. . It has settled a bit but they don't ever lie next to each other or anything :'(

I have two bonded brothers. They are about a year old. They had a falling out a few months ago when i put them together in a box while cleaning out their cage. Thought that i would have to separate them but put them back together in their cage and watched them. They were not happy with each other at first but soon settled down again.

They lie in different area in their cage and like to have their own space. They will sometimes snap at each other but then my girls do too sometimes.

Hopefully your boys will be ok.

It's good to hear that these little spats are sometimes just that. i heard teeth chattering for the first time yesterday morning, my 2 boys are about 7 months old (from the same litter).

Scampy is very quiet and shy but the more dominent towards his brother, Treacle, despite being the bigger of the 2 has seemed pretty happy with this arrangement until now, yesterday he just didn't back down like he ususally does which lead to some teeth chattering and some head butting but nothing more.

Should I be getting worried......... is this likely to get worse..........?

Sounds to me like they are just flexing their muscles and being "men". Probably will not progress into anything more worrying but keep an eye on them and if they do start to fight then they will need to be separated. Hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back