• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

1ml dog metacam

Pigs2024

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had a pig on 1ml dog metacam twice a day long term please? Got a piggy with bad IC and struggling to manage it on less. But wary of long term effects.

Hi

Has anyone had a pig on 1ml dog metacam twice a day long term please? Got a piggy with bad IC and struggling to manage it on less. But wary of long term effects.

Hi

Can you please give us a bit more additional information so we can put your question into more of a perspective:
- What is your piggy's weight?
- Is your piggy on any glucosamine product (cystease, cartrophen etc)?

Hi

Can you please give us a bit more additional information so we can put your question into more of a perspective:
- What is your piggy's weight?
- Is your piggy on any glucosamine product (cystease, cartrophen etc)?
Hi

Yes she's on cystease twice a day. She's had cartrophen it didn't work. She's 1200g.

It's half a one every 12 hours. I tried 2 full capsules a day and it made no difference unfortunately.

HUGS

I am very sorry. The metacam is a make or break totally maxed out dosage as the last possible measure your vet can take since the cartrophen has not worked. I hope that it makes sense to you in this context?

What we can do for the more severe forms of sterile cystitis is sadly extremely limited. :(

HUGS

I am very sorry. The metacam is a make or break totally maxed out dosage as the last possible measure your vet can take since the cartrophen has not worked. I hope that it makes sense to you in this context?

What we can do for the more severe forms of sterile cystitis is sadly extremely limited. :(
Thank you. Yes, I'm worried about it damaging kidneys. Specially with her not being a big drinker.

Thank you. Yes, I'm worried about it damaging kidneys. Specially with her not being a big drinker.

Hi

Guinea pigs metabolise metacam differently to other pets. However, it is either high metacam to buy her more lifetime or an even shorter life span. Potential long term kidney problems won't come into this when your piggy simply wouldn't have a chance to live as long otherwise.

I am very sorry; it is all about life-prolonging priorities and not about the long term. That is what make or break is about. :(

I wish I had better news.

Hi

Guinea pigs metabolise metacam differently to other pets. However, it is either high metacam to buy her more lifetime or an even shorter life span. Potential long term kidney problems won't come into this when your piggy simply wouldn't have a chance to live as long otherwise.

I am very sorry; it is all about life-prolonging priorities and not about the long term. That is what make or break is about. :(

I wish I had better news.
Thank you. I just hope it doesn't kill her quickly. If I could have another year or two that would be nice.

Thank you. I just hope it doesn't kill her quickly. If I could have another year or two that would be nice.

Cherish every day with her as the special gift it is - this way you cannot lose. It is never about quantity but about quality and taking a leaf out of your piggies' book: living in the moment and making each day count. You don't have any control over how long your girl has to live with quality of life but you can always give your piggies the happy todays in good care that they measure their lives by. Don't waste the time by fixating and fretting over the end; it is the now and here where you can make all the difference.

What I do in cases like these is to reset the lifetime clock at zero and count every day more as a bonus, whether it is just a few days or - after Hywel's very narrow scrape through from some very unusual post-neutering op complications that stumped the operating vets (not my regular ones) - 5 1/2 very happy husboar years as the patriarch of a large group of sows.

I’ve had several guineas on that top end dosage which have survived several years. I recently lost my poor beloved Daisy who was 900g and on 0.9ml dog metacam twice a day for nearly 2 years due to her multiple issues but mainly dental which there was no cure. She lived a very happy, quality of life until a tooth abscess was the final straw. She was 7 when she died. I have had several others on these types of doses for dental or heart or urinary conditions, and none have died from kidney failure.

In my mind it’s always been quality over quantity and she loved life to the end.

As Wiebke says, just live and enjoy every moment you have with her and when the end comes you can feel reassured you gave her the best and most comfortable life.

Hugs as I know it’s so tough to not worry endlessly about these things! x

Cherish every day with her as as the special gift it is - this way you cannot lose. It is never about quantity but quality of time and about taking a leaf out of your piggies' book: living in the moment and making each day count.
You don't have any control over how long your girl has to live with a reasonable quality of life but you can always give your piggies the happy todays in good care that they measure their lives by. Don't waste your time by fixating on and fretting over the end; it is the now and here where you can make all the difference.

What I do in cases like these is to reset the lifetime clock at zero and count every day more as a bonus, whether it is just a few days or - after Hywel's very narrow scrape through from very unusual post-neutering op complications - a full 5 1/2 very happy 'husboar' years as the patriarch of a large group of sows.
Thank you. This is a great way to look at it.

I’ve had several guineas on that top end dosage which have survived several years. I recently lost my poor beloved Daisy who was 900g and on 0.9ml dog metacam twice a day for nearly 2 years due to her multiple issues but mainly dental which there was no cure. She lived a very happy, quality of life until a tooth abscess was the final straw. She was 7 when she died. I have had several others on these types of doses for dental or heart or urinary conditions, and none have died from kidney failure.

In my mind it’s always been quality over quantity and she loved life to the end.

As Wiebke says, just live and enjoy every moment you have with her and when the end comes you can feel reassured you gave her the best and most comfortable life.

Hugs as I know it’s so tough to not worry endlessly about these things! x
Thank you. Sorry you've just lost daisy. What an impressive age. That is really encouraging. My worry is she doesn't really drink. Did yours drink a lot?

Thank you. Sorry you've just lost daisy. What an impressive age. That is really encouraging. My worry is she doesn't really drink. Did yours drink a lot?

In my own experience with long term higher dosages in arthritic old piggies, it doesn't matter whether they are good drinkers or not. None of my long term metacam piggies have so far died of kidney failure; my kidney losses were all from piggies who hadn't had any metacam.

As I stated in my earlier posts, guinea pigs metabolise metacam differently to other pets and can cope especially with much larger dosages of metacam than any other pets.

Just focus on the quality of life you are buying your girl for as long as possible; that is the greatest gift you can make her. What your piggies die from and when is out of your control and not something you can ever choose.

Thank you, I miss her like crazy she was one of a kind for sure.

Daisy wouldn’t drink a thing but the pee’d for England when you held her lol ( she was one hell of a character). She loved her veg and especially chard and cucumber so I think she got her fluids from veg. Right Towards the end she couldn’t eat and suddenly she stopped peeing for on you at cuddle time.

I have had a couple of piggies on long term Metacam for arthritis, 0.8ml twice daily. They lived for a further two years from diagnosis and died of old age related illness at 6.5 years. Our vet also gives Cerenia for bladder pain, if your vet hasn't tried it yet it may be worth mentioning to them.

My vet has given 1ml of dog metacam for a ic piggie Dakota twice daily.1 cystease capsule twice aday.Gabepentin orally was given for her worst days...it proved very effective for Dakota.

Back