:(

Coco+Teddie+Luna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am very upset right now. I have been at my grandma's house for a good 2 or 3 months now. She dosen't want the guinea pigs to stay here anymore "she can't handle the smell. I really don't wanna go home because i live in a apartment with my mom(more like a condo) and i don't have any space to play outside. I guess I'm going to have to go back or give them away :(

So sorry to hear this.
Is there some way you can discuss possible compromises with your grandma?

Guinea pigs in a clean cage really shouldn't smell much at all - but their hay does have a smell. Is that what is bothering her?
Do they have a big enough cage (smaller cages get smelly quickly)?
Could you move them to a room she doesn't really use?

I really hope you can come up with a solution.

So sorry to hear this.

Guinea pigs in a clean cage really shouldn't smell much at all - but their hay does have a smell. Is that what is bothering her?

I have them in my bedroom but her clothes are there so she dosent like to come in my room . She says the hallway stinks when it doesn’t. I don’t smell anything. I am VERY consistent in cleaning their cage. I am considering taking them home but now she is making me feel bad about it saying I am leaving her lonely. I do not want to keep them in her basement. I don’t like to go there. There are cockroaches down there and it’s too hot down there. I had them there before and she complained. 😭

So sorry to hear this.

They also have a big cage

Attachments

• F7E7A24F-87AA-4092-AB6F-585B26B92992.webp
    F7E7A24F-87AA-4092-AB6F-585B26B92992.webp
    63 KB · Views: 34
It’s a difficult situation but I think you may have to take them back home. You won’t feel settled if she is complaining about the smell. And she won’t feel settled because of it. Is there any way you could move her clothes elsewhere?

By the way they don’t need those cuddly toys. I would remove them from the cage so they have more space. It does look a little cluttered.

It’s a difficult situation but I think you may have to take them back home. You won’t feel settled if she is complaining about the smell. And she won’t feel settled because of it. Is there any way you could move her clothes elsewhere?

By the way they don’t need those cuddly toys. I would remove them from the cage so they have mo
Is that just towels on the floor? If so, that would smell.
nope a mix of towels and blankets

Update:I ended up deep cleaning the basement then moving them there. They have stayed there before but I just didn't want them to be there. I can also now control the temperature down there. All is good forum. Thank you all for the advice!

When using a fabric bedding such a fleece, you must have an absorbent layer underneath the fleece such as puppy pads or a mattress protector. You then lay the fleece on top of the absorbent layer.
You wick the fleece before using it by washing it multiple times without fabric softener. This allows urine to pass through the fleece through to the absorbent layer underneath. The absorbent layer keeps hold of the urine and allows the fleece to stay dry - reducing smells but also ensuring the piggies aren’t sat on wet bedding all the time. Towels as bedding or an underlayer can stay damp for far too long, take too long when they do start to dry, will smell, mean piggies aren’t keeping dry enough and therefore don’t work well as piggy bedding.
As siikibam has said, there is also no need for the cuddly toys to be in there, they will definitely contribute to a smell also.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Back