12 week old

annar96

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, We ve recently got a 12 ish week old boar. He s moved in with our 4 year old. How often should we be feeding him? We have a bag of mixed food from the breeder but I forgot to ask him! At the moment we feed the 4 year old a tablespoon of nuggets twice a day and veggies once a day and bits n pieces through the day if I'm passing. There's unlimited hay 24 hourly.

He can be fed exactly the same as an adult piggy.
However, a tablespoon of pellets twice a day for one piggy is double the amount they should have much. Please do cut that down. Too many pellets are not healthy and can contribute to health problems.

They should only have one tablespoon per pig per day.
So now you have two piggies, if you wish to feed nuggets twice a day thats fine, but only give one tablespoon each time. That way, they will only be getting the recommended one tablespoon per pig per day.

Per pig is
Unlimited hay
approx one cup of veg per day
One tablespoon of nuggets per day

Mixed food? I'm assuming you mean a muesli. If so, then please switch to a plain pellet. Mueslis are not healthy and not recommended.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?

That sounds fine, I think you give each piggie 1 tablespoon of pellets per day, as well as veggies and unlimited hay x

I agree. He’s a big boy now so can eat the same as the older piggy. Would love to see some pictures of the cuties if you’d like to share. 😍

He can be fed exactly the same as an adult piggy.
However, a tablespoon of pellets twice a day for one piggy is double the amount they should have much. Please do cut that down. Too many pellets are not healthy and can contribute to health problems.

They should only have one tablespoon per pig per day.
So now you have two piggies, if you wish to feed nuggets twice a day thats fine, but only give one tablespoon each time. That way, they will only be getting the recommended one tablespoon per pig per day.

Per pig is
Unlimited hay
approx one cup of veg per day
One tablespoon of nuggets per day

Mixed food? I'm assuming you mean a muesli. If so, then please switch to a plain pellet. Mueslis are not healthy and not recommended.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?
Not muesli. He said it s nuggets, Oats,bran etc He shows piggies

If you’re sure it’s a plain pellet and not muesli with different shaped and coloured pieces then that is good but ideally piggies should ideally be fed a grass or timothy based plain pellet.
If you aren’t sure then let us know the name of the food and we can help.
Still only one tablespoon per pig per day though

I got my Percy from a breeder and she made up her own food mix too. Once it’s gone just buy piggy nuggets from a pet shop.

Back