12 week Guinea pig diet

Pigglemama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking at getting a 12 week boar as a new pal for recently bereaved Percy ( my friend breeds them and she has a little Abyssinian red eyed boar left) My question is what do I feed a 12 week old and if I give him alfalfa hay/ pellets I’m worried two year old Percy will eat them and it won’t be good for his health. I’ve only ever had two babies at the same time so what would you advise? Thank you

I’ve got a new baby as well, he was from pets at home so he was likely fed mainly cabbage.

I started with cucumber and romaine lettuce and worked our way up from here, adding bell pepper and trying different things. Almost 2 weeks later and he eats the same as my other pigs!

The only thing to ensure is that he is getting a chance to eat aswell, I cut up all veg into much smaller portions/bites so he has a better chance at getting something to eat alongside his larger 5 month old friend.
Weigh him when he gets there and then do so every couple of days just to ensure you are going in the right direction, you can go back to lifelong weekly weighing after a couple weeks.

Back