Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephanie_cavy

because i only want 1 guinea pig :'( :'(
and i don't really have that much money and space for 2..sorry :'( :-\ :(

You should have 2, they are sociable little animals. If you only want one animal a Syrian Hamster may be more your type of pet :) It is a legal requirement to provide company for your pet under the new Animal Welfare Bill. Minimu,m space would only be four foot by 2 foot.

I votd multiple piggies, some animals just need company. If you can't have 2 i'dlook into gettig a single type pet that doesn't need company.

You ahve to think whats right by the animal not yourself it would be unfair to the poor piggy that wil be living on it's own :(

I voted multiple too. I have three up to now two are in their hutch outside but Cuzzy is on his own as he has Mites. I did notice a change in him when I first put him indoors but he has bucked up a lot and has become tamer. I still think he will be better with the boys but he does seem ok with us for now while he is recovering.

Louise
:)

I really wouldn't recommend one at all.
It's not fair on the piggie, and also it's lovely to watch them interact when they're kept together, so you'd be missing out on a lovely part of piggie-keeping!

I also voted multiple piggies, I have 4 boys, in 2 pairs and I don't know what they would do without each other, they are so much more happy and active when they have a friend.

I agree Hesperus, Sunshine and Twinkle are always interacting. Sunshine pop corns Twinkle follows. Twinkle also lets Sunshine lick his face, soooo cute.

Louise
:)

Hi sorry for going off the subject a bit but are rabbits the same as guinea pigs in the way that they need company? My friend wants a rabbit but can't persuade her mum to get two, help would be appreciated :) x

jnenbnb said:
Hi sorry for going off the subject a bit but are rabbits the same as guinea pigs in the way that they need company? My friend wants a rabbit but can't persuade her mum to get two, help would be appreciated :) x
I believe rabbits need comapny as much as guinea pigs, don't they live in colonies in the wild? could be wrong :-\

I had a single male who sat in the same corner of his hcuth day in and day out, no joke. The only time he came alive was when we went out to see him, you couldtell he was so lonely. So we got him neuterd and he bonded with my 2 girls instantly and is so much happier, plays, runs, eats and sleeps in a group. It's lovely to watch group aniamls interacting together. :)

I hate to think of social animal living all alone for what could be 10 years in a hutch. Can you imagine living all by yourself in a small sqaure room, not much of a life is it. :(

I know it's horrible, i'l tell her she really shouldn't get just one, if her mum has agreed to one i can't see how much difference one more would make, thanks for the advice x

I voted multiple, no social animal should be kept alone, you cant physically give a single animal company 24 hours. If you havent got room for 2 pigs and you only want one, why not look into a different pet like a syrian hamster? They can be just as much fun and they do need human company but they arent as social and do enjoy there own time as well.

There are some guinea pigs who cannot be paired off with others, due to fights or past history etc...so I have known of people only having 1 and they have been a house pig....I know this is rare....but yes, they should have companyreally O0

Like I said to nimacavy in another thread if you want 1 animal that lives by itself, doesn't make a noise and doesn't smell..then try a hamster. They can live alone and in a smaller size cage. Only time they make a noise is if they are running in their wheel. Eat dried hamster food and drink water with occassional fruit/veg treats.

If you don't have room for 2 piggies, maybe you don't have room for 1...you need space for them to exercise (indoors or outside in a run in good weather) as well as space for a cage.

I have lived with a lone piggie for 5 weeks, we got him from a colleague of my husband and he had been badly bitten by another piggie. We let him settle in with us, and after researching, asking loads of questions on here and taking people's advice, we bought another baby piggie. He is in quarantine just now because we bought him from a petshop but they will be introduced to each other soon. If the don't get on, they will live side by side so they don't hurt each other but will always have each other's company.

It's not fair for them to be biten but it's equally not fair for them to be stuck in a cage by themselves...would you like to be the only human being roaming the big wide world by yourself? Kinda same for piggies.

Definately try a hamster if you would like a smaller cage with 1 animal in it.

I voted for more than 1 as its not at all too expensive you only need a little bit more of what you get now and your other guinea pig will love you even more if you get them a friend :-\

Hi Stephanie, Same here, I voted multiples.

You also mentioned you don't have much money & you need to take into consideration the cost of taking a pet to the vets should it get sick. Basically if you can't afford the vets you should have the pets! Much as none of us ever want our pets to get sick you just never know what is going to happen.

I agree with what some of the others have said, a Syrian hamster sounds like a better option for you. Less room needed & less expense. Also they need to live alone. O0

flm1977 said:
Like I said to nimacavy in another thread if you want 1 animal that lives by itself, doesn't make a noise and doesn't smell..then try a hamster. They can live alone and in a smaller size cage. Only time they make a noise is if they are running in their wheel. Eat dried hamster food and drink water with occassional fruit/veg treats.

If you don't have room for 2 piggies, maybe you don't have room for 1...you need space for them to exercise (indoors or outside in a run in good weather) as well as space for a cage.

I have lived with a lone piggie for 5 weeks, we got him from a colleague of my husband and he had been badly bitten by another piggie. We let him settle in with us, and after researching, asking loads of questions on here and taking people's advice, we bought another baby piggie. He is in quarantine just now because we bought him from a petshop but they will be introduced to each other soon. If the don't get on, they will live side by side so they don't hurt each other but will always have each other's company.

It's not fair for them to be biten but it's equally not fair for them to be stuck in a cage by themselves...would you like to be the only human being roaming the big wide world by yourself? Kinda same for piggies.

Definately try a hamster if you would like a smaller cage with 1 animal in it.

You are right about the wheel...hamsters are great but my only problem when I had one was it used to store its food in its wheel and since they are nocternal when I'm trying to sleep she would run around in her wheel with the food rattlnig around too and she lived in my room :D

And personally yes I would like to be the only human roaming around the whole world :smitten:

Anyways I voted multiple since like everybody else has said thy should be kept in 2's as they are sociable

I voted multiple, I have 3 guinea pigs, in 1 cage. 2 boars, Patch and Moe (Moe was originally thought to be a girl and that's how Koko got pregnant) on one side of a divider and Koko and her soon-to-be babies on the other. They can socialize with no more unexpected pregnancies! :D Multiple guinea pigs is a very rewarding experience, and it is cruel to keep a poor piggie by itsself. They need company or they will get lonely. They will be listless, inactive and it's not fun to watch a piggie suffer. It makes me cry whan I see a piggie sad, I have such a soft spot for guineas, LOL :D

jnenbnb said:

All the info i've read says rabbits are social animals & should live in pairs; the best being a neutered doe & neutered buck. Most rescues will not re-home a single bun unless it's to be a companion to an existing neutered one. However, some will rehome if the bun is to be a house-bun :)

I too voted multiple tho' i do have 4 boys who all live singularly. However, they are side by side & can interact with their "friend" thru a mesh divider.

All my other piggies are in pairs or trios :)

all my piggies live in groups. I think its best and you get to see the best in them when they have company :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back